Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Nothing beats Soft-Ice for live engineering

Soft-ice, the mighty sword i have wielded for many generations of windows os and days of DOS.
How have thou fallen O my comrade, thy blade would no longer pierce the foe Vista. I mourn for thee Soft-ice, has thy maker abandon thee?

I love soft-ice. I have used it to reverse...hrummp... i mean analyse (i dont promote cheap hacking) many applications and malwares thru the generations. Its a loyal and trustworthy companion for any serious system programming. The fun i had in the Ultimas, Red-alert (super sonic tank), alone in the dark, , neverwinterII (using the cage as armour), ROM (256 rays!),diabloII (99% life leech...ouch), DungeonSiegeII (complete the mysterious quest, damage of 14124124) and those cant even recall endless list of games (did i mention no cheap hacks, i never mod life stats and str, mana etc...those can be done via trainers and even built in cmds, no fun if u cant die)

While we are at this, i got some confession to make, some naughty stuf i did in this IT world during my earlier reckless days...

- Ixxxxx college, around year 1993/94. My sincere apologies for crashing all the pcs for a duration of week. Shooting masses of msgs via the netware send api that refuses to go away when u press the ctrl-enter. Yeah, it was no virus...

- to all the cybercafe players in pandan indah, during 2003-2004, counter strike 1.5, 1.6. Miyu, Camper369 is actually a cheater = me. Yup, i wrote a client proxy via the blueprint from ogc, and i played in the cybercafe. Since the gun auto aims the "cookoo part" and hides all UI elements and triggers via the keypade keys, you guys never knew what hit u, even when you are standing behind me watching me play. That program is just...well... anti-anti-cheater and anti-ppl-stand-behind-to-see-if-i-cheated version. Thanks for all the fun and frags.

- sincere apologies to Tay cheng yik and his cousins and collegues. For i used the same program on the silversurf cybercafe when u organized the counter strike match . Yes, you were smart the cybercafe comes with the security of not allowing any downloads and processes....but i went there earlier at 6pm and well..."loosened" the security so my program would load. How? Well the security they granted to yahoo messenger was too high, so its just a matter of renaming and putting my program as yahoo messenger. Now u know, why i didnt agree to join WCG.

- QuakeII office match, wait a minute, i was a QuakeII master, what did u expect to read here, i never wrote any mods to help out in this one. Where did i put that rail gun...u just wait here.

Sob...Sob...

Soft-ice wont be available for vista. So what alternative you have. For one, u still have the windbg (yawn...), Ollydebug and Syster. I have tried the latter two and they do a good job in analysis but for live reverse....i mean terbalik engineering on live processes/drivers, nothing beats Soft-ice.

Soft-ice....(ok skip ahead, leave me mourning here for my loved ones..)

1 comment:

  1. softice is my first choice : now kernel debugger is my only debugger.
    I find your article laughing and neat.

    ReplyDelete